Application of regulations to the European bison conservation process in Spain
Keywords:European bison, proposal of species management, conservation
Two regulatory frameworks are presented: An option favorable for conservation and expansion of the species and regulation unfavorable for species conservation but possible.
- European bison included into the category of Bovidae livestock, compatible with other land uses like hunting grounds, livestock breeding etc.
- Health & disease surveillance compatible with species conservation.
- Individual identification compatible with species conservation.
- Project exhibition permitted for the conservation of the species through guided tours and allowed for livestock species as is in the Livestock law.
- Possibility of elimination of selected individuals and commercial use of meat for human consumption and sale.
- Not being considered as cattle. It would require guidelines from the Health and Environmental authorities to all Regional Governments.
- E. bison maintained in Zoological Nucleus. Necessary are guidelines for authorization of Zoological Nucleus for ex situ conservation in Spain to facilitate approval by the District Agricultural Offices. Compatibility of Zoological Nucleus with other stakeholders within the same territory as hunting enterprises, livestock farming and other traditional land users.
- Disease surveillance in accordance with Directive 92/65 CEE with the classification as authorized centers.
- Identification of an individual compatible with rules for the conservation of the species - application of Directive 92/65 CEE.
- Project exhibition permitted through guided tours as the contribution to the conservation of the species. Always, presentation of animals must be connected with education about species and its conservation.
- Possibility of elimination of selected individuals and commercial use of meat for human
consumption and sale
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Fernando Morán
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.